News & Updates

The Steak of Origin competition has had a revamp and this year numerous changes will be implemented – including a new Best of Breed British: Hereford class.

The changes have the potential to make the competition more user friendly with the competition being held later in the year and with the introduction of the Hereford only class.

The board of Hereford Prime encourage as many members of the NZHA to show their support of the news class by entering.

“The contribution of Herefords and Hereford Prime to the competition over the years has been acknowledged by the introduction of our own class and we hope the membership will show its support and enter,” said Hereford Prime chairman Laurie Paterson.

The key changes include:

  1. The introduction of a separate class for Hereford (Best of Breed –British: Hereford)
  2. Adjustments in the judging process will see all semi-final steaks judged by a panel of NZs top chefs who will decide the top 10 entries to progress through to the final. The chef’s scores will contribute 40% of the overall score with the tenderness result contributing the remaining 60% of the score. Bronze, silver and gold awards will be presented to the three top scoring steaks in each class as determined from the semi-final judging.
  3. The winners will be announced at an awards evening being held in Auckland on Thursday August 10th 2017.
  4. The timeframe has also been adjusted and the key dates are:-
  • Entry forms distributed         Late March
  • Entries close                            Friday 5 May
  • Processing                               Monday 22 May - Friday 9 June (Queens birthday 5 June)
  • Semi finalists announced      Wednesday 26 July
  • Finalists announced               Thursday 3 August

Awards Dinner – Auckland   Thursday 10 August

[ Return to main page ]